Congratulations to all the Same Sex Couples who got married! Equality is always worth fighting for and we are moving toward a more loving, indiscriminate society.   Now, that we have you married a lot of my same sex couple friends have wondered: how do we get divorced?  Is the process to divorce a same sex marriage the same as for heterosexual couples? Yes. We handle many same sex dissolution and the process is the same as heterosexual couples.  The Petition for Dissolution also provides for couples who were married in California but now reside in a state that does not recognize marriage.   Please contact us if you are looking to dissolve a same sex marriage. 

Dissolution of Domestic Partnership for Same Sex Couples

Couples can register for a domestic partnership with the Secretary of State of California to receive certain benefits that a marriage provides.  In order to dissolve that partnership the couple can go through a simple process with the Secretary of State of California.  However, through that process they do not have a hearing and cannot go before a judge to reach an agreement or a binding judgment.  If the couple cannot agree on the terms of the dissolution they can file with the Superior Court of Los Angeles in order to having a hearing on the issue and receive a court order.  The process would be very similar for a dissolution of marriage but it would be to terminate the domestic partnership that the parties entered into.

Maryam Atighechi can help same sex couples terminate a domestic partnership or a dissolution of marriage.